Friday, June 15, 2012

excerpts from an urban farm

Today I bring you just a few pictures from around the farm(s) in Chicago.  Farming in an urban environment is a unique challenge but also an inspiring and creative endeavor.  From composted restaurant scraps to rooftop bee keeping, there is a world of opportunity in the city, which makes pieces of vacant land less of an eyesore and more of a blank slate of farming potential.


Steam rising from our hot compost pile - it still amazes me to feel how hot it gets (150 degrees!).  The mural in the background was painted in collaboration with local youth around themes of food, farming and food security.


Raised beds and a hoop house on a gray day.


Rainy day farming at Grant Park.


I didn't expect to be driving around a 12 passenger van this young in life but I guess 'plant mom' precedes 'soccer mom.'


The harvest knife is sharp.


 Rooftop bees!


I got to help 'catch' this swarm as my first bee keeping experience.  It was amazing and a little bit scary.  Bees are just so cool.


Seriously full hive.  Again - a little scary and a lot amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment