Sunday, March 11, 2012

the new life

On Tuesday I began my adventure with Growing Power in Chicago (the link will bring you to the page of the farm I work at).  But I don't have much to report from the farm front because we spent the week getting ready for the Flower and Garden Show that opens this weekend at Navy Pier.

Expo shows always amaze me because of the sheer size of them.  Last year, I went with Grady to an expo that his company was holding that included maybe 20 full-size trucks, buses and military vehicles just hanging out in this giant room ... they didn't even look big compared to the size of the space.  The expo we were setting up was on an even bigger scale than that and involved tons and tons (probably literally) of sand and dirt.

Every exhibit in the landscaping side of the show was - well - a reconstructed landscape.  I spent most of the week shoveling sand and dirt, burying potted plants in said dirt, spreading wood chips and sod and other such things to get our installation ready.  While it wasn't exactly farming, it involved enough bending and digging in the dirt to make me feel sore and dirty in the exact same ways.

Next week I look forward to some actual work on the farm and I was given some small hope that I will be taught {urban} beekeeping!  I'm probably most excited about that ... bees keeping on the roof ... so awesome. 

I'm still trying to think of a way to get some pictures to this space.  I really can't see myself bringing my expensive, fancy camera with me for the day because I'm afraid it will get broken and I don't have a fancy phone with a fancy camera, so that won't work either.  We'll see.  In the mean time, if you're desperate for some visuals, you can go to their website to get an idea of what's going on.  I may not be back here until next weekend but maybe I won't be so tired this next week!  Here's to hoping anyway ...

Happy weekend!

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool. Looking forward to hearing about your days in GP!

    ReplyDelete