Monday, September 12, 2011

down on the farm

Every Friday this summer I head an hour west of here to work on a farm.  Montalbano Farms.  These days I feel as though I'm pulling the sun behind me as I go, watching it lift the morning haze away from the miles and miles of corn fields.  Normally I'm not super enthusiastic about corn fields but on these mornings, they are quite beautiful.  The sky gets bigger and the earth gets greener and my breaths just a little bit deeper as I near the farm.




The farm itself is situated right in the middle of a corn field - from the road you'd never know that there was an organic vegetable farm back there somewhere [corn is really tall, for those who may not know].  The farm is also a work in progress, and by that I mean that this is only their second year as a farm and their first year on this piece of land.  "They" are Rob and Christina, farmers soon to be married.

At the moment, it's not much of a "farmy" farm.  There's no wooden barn, no cow with a milking shed, no really old equipment sitting around rusting, there's not even a house much less a rocking chair on the porch.  Just two big, blue barn structures, a camper and a port-a-potty.  But there are vegetables.  Plenty of vegetables to go out and pick and wash and sort and box.







No comments:

Post a Comment